Machinists ratify new deal with Swissport
Monday June 13, 2016
For Immediate Release
Ottawa, ON – Members of IAM Local Lodge 2413 have ratified a new collective agreement with Swissport (formerly Servisair) by a margin of 83 per cent.
“We were able to preserve the main part or middle part of the wage scale while increasing the starting rate for ramp agents by close to 9 per cent and the top rate of the scale by 3 per cent per year,” explained IAM Transportation District Lodge 140 General Chairperson Mike Corrado.
The new three-year agreement provides wage increases to the wage scale for Mechanics of 2.5 per cent per year, Mechanic helper 3 per cent per year, top scale for Ramp, Passenger Service Agents, OPS and Groomers 3 per cent per year and employees who are over scaled/red circled receive 1 per cent per year and 1 per cent lump sum each year.
“We were able to ensure language was added to the agreement that would provide us with a wage re-opener in the event that a living wage ordinance is implemented in Ottawa which is above any of the wages listed in the agreement,” explained Corrado. ”The same applies if there is an implemented legislative minimum wage that applies to a federal jurisdiction company, which is above any of the wages listed in the agreement.”
Other agreement highlights include:
- Signing bonus of $225.00 for all bargaining unit members
- OPS premium of an extra $ .50 per hour
- Vision care now increased to $300 every two years
- Increased employer contribution to RRSP to $ .55 per hour
- Increased amount paid when working on Good Friday – extra ½ time paid for working this stat holiday
- Improved bereavement leave
- Improved clothing allotment
- Improved shift language
- Improved footwear allowance
- Improved grievance procedure language
- Better defined probationary period of 120 calendar days
- New tool allowance for Mechanic Helper
The 71 members consist of ramp agents, aircraft groomers, passenger service agents, ops agents, equipment mechanics and mechanic helpers.
“This is a good deal for our membership, especially at a time when the employer does not have as much business at the Ottawa airport as it did in the past,” added Corrado.
For further information:
Mike Corrado – IAM Transportation District Lodge 140 General Chairperson
Bill Trbovich – IAM Director of Communications
416-386-1789 Ext #6331/416-735-9765